Free, online tutoring available for K-12 students. South Dakota students and families can access a new, online tutoring program. The Dakota Dreams Online Tutoring Program offers FREE online tutoring to K-12 students across the state. One-on-one sessions can help students with their homework, tackle specific trouble areas, and address broader educational concepts. Tutors are teacher prep candidates at Black Hills State University and Northern State University. The Department of Education and Board of Regents are asking schools’ help in getting word out about this new service to families. Find sample messaging for parent communication, social media platforms, websites, and more. You also can access these resources via the Our Dakota Dreams website by clicking on the “Download Tool Kit” button. Please note: In order to access the service, parents or guardians must register their students, not the school. The effort is funded with American Rescue Plan dollars.
Ways to get word out to families:
- Share this information with your teaching staff, who could suggest the service to families whose students may need extra assistance.
- Print copies of the flyer to hand out at upcoming Parent-Teacher Conferences and/or email them in advance.
- Run an “advertisement” on the homepage of your website or other frequently used pages.
- Use your social media platforms to get word out about the service.
- Promote at school events (in event programs, scoreboard messages, hard-copy flyers).